Saturday, May 24, 2008

Thing #12 - NetLibrary and WorldCat

I have used NetLibrary before. This was a nice refresher. I came across cliff notes on there which I never knew where on there. Occasionally we get asked for them at the library so now I know where I can refer them to. NetLibrary is definitly user friendly. I think it is easy to navigate around the site, turn the pages of the books, and use the search features. Whenever I have shown customers how to use it they seem extremely happy with this. Once at an inservice for teachers I highlighted this database and the teachers were amazed with it. A few came over to the highschool that afternoon to sign up.

On WorldCat I played around with the list option. I have never looked at that before. People have created all sorts of lists, one was Armanian Children's Books. It was cool to read the list and then click on a book to see if we owned it. I think this could be a great readers advisory tool. I always forget about using worldcat for DVDs and CDs when filling out ILL forms. The details for the form are much more clear and no scrolling up and down like on B&N or Amazon. WorldCat is also helpful to see if anyone owns an item and it is neat to see where in the country has it.

No comments: